5 Reasons to Visit a VIP Airport Lounge
- Jenny Stanfield
Would you like a...Telephone call or email?
*You won’t be added to a mailing list, or a call list.
Founded in 1934, South African Airways is the flag carrier of South Africa with its hub at O.R. Tambo International Airport (JNB). They are a member of the Star Alliance.
South African Airways has achieved a four star rating from Skytrax, and consistently earns awards and accolades as a top airline in Africa.
• South African Airways' "Flying Springbok" logo has been an integral symbol of the South African carrier ever since its formation in 1934. When referring to SAA, "the Flying Springbok" is sometimes used instead of its full name, much like the reference of "the Flying Kangaroo" associated with Qantas. Although the logo was discontinued in 1997 in favour of a new aircraft livery and identity, the word "Springbok" remains its radio callsign.
Voyager is the miles based frequent flyer program of South African Airways. Once you reach elite membership, your miles expire every three years.
It has five membership tiers:
Entry level (3 base miles to qualify)
30,000 miles annually
• Miles do not expire once you’ve flown 6,000 tier miles in a calendar year
• 3,000 bonus miles on achieving silver status
• 2,000 bonus miles for every 15,000 tier miles flown
• 25% bonus-tier miles
• Premium class check-in, priority baggage handling, priority boarding
• Additional baggage allowance
• Lounge access for member
60,000 miles annually
• 6,000 bonus miles on achieving gold status
• 50% bonus-tier miles
• Preferential economy seating for member and one guest
• Priority boarding for member and one guest
• Lounge access for member and one guest
120,000 miles annually or 5 consecutive years of Gold status
• 12,000 bonus miles on achieving platinum status
• 75% bonus-tier miles
• Preferential economy seating for member and two guests
• Access to exit row seats
• Priority boarding for member and two guests
• Lounge access for member
• Chauffeur service for member and two guests on qualifying flights
60,000 miles annually or 720,000 miles over 4 consecutive years
South African Airways has codeshare agreements with 28 select airlines both inside and outside the Star Alliance. Look for the designator code (SA).
When booking with a codesharing partner, you will experience differences in baggage fees, optional services, other charges, and policies from partner airlines on your trip.
Lie flat seats made with leather, soft duvet, large pillows and padded seat cover
Inflight entertainment and noise cancelling headphones
Welcome drink, amenity bag with travel necessities and cosmetics
A la carte menu with South African cheese board and wine list
Spacious private area with power outlet
Extra space and generous legroom
Amenity kit with socks, eyeshades, toothbrush and toothpaste
Pre-order meals for children